понедельник, октября 24, 2005

Overnight Trains

My trip to Petersburg began with a 12 hour train ride. We left at 10:40pm. This was the first time I had ever been on an overnight train before. It was also the first time I had ever been in a “Harry Potter” car. I don’t know the English word, but you know those enclosed rooms on the train we have all seen in the Harry Potter movies. It has 4 beds and a little table (a bit crapped too). I was in a car with one of my friends and two Russians, who barely spoke to each other. But the whole group was in the same train car, so I can’t say I spent too much time in my room.

It was pretty fun, plus it was the first time I was able to play Euchre in way too many months. Two of my friends actually know how to play, so we grabbed a fourth and jumped right in. I should mention that I was pair with the newbie and we managed to win 2 out of 3, she was a fast learner. We must have played for about 2 hours (Although I should ask, is it a general rule that you never lead with trump? Do most people play the way and I just never noticed? Well whatever). Actually, while I am on the subject of Euchre I find it interesting that the friends I have taught to play are now teaching others to play and so on and so on. It really seems to be spreading through my group of friends back home. I glad everyone likes it so much, and I think I should give credit to my teachers. To Busha and Grandpa and basically my Mom’s whole side of the family for letting me play when I come up and for teaching me the tricks of the trade.

Anyways, the train was not the best place to sleep for me, I must have woken up every time we stopped (at least 5 times), but my pillow was very comfortable. I was pretty neat to wake up in St. Pete’s, but word of advice if you every do an overnight train, slippers work much better in the bathroom than socks.

Комментариев нет: