четверг, марта 02, 2006

More on Lent

So with Ash Wednesday already yesterday I thought I would expand a little on Lent here in Russia. I was surprised last night at Mass to see that here we receive ashes sprinkled on the top of the head, not on the forehead. It was weird, but ashes are ashes I guess. Does anyone else know of it being done like this elsewhere, or is it just a Russian thing?

I've found a few interesting things on the Orthodox Lent that I also thought I'd share. First off in Russian Lent is called "Velikii Post" (basically the great fast). In America we have Mardi Gras of "Fat Tuesday", I think in Brazil they have the Carnival, or maybe I'm wrong in that, but here in Russia we have Maslinitsa, or the Last day of Blini (pancakes). It's your standard pre-lent food celebration. Since Orthodox lent begins next Monday, this will be celebrated on Sunday, which should mean a lot of blini for me to eat.

1 комментарий:

Анонимный комментирует...

I could check up on it, but I think the forehead-cross thing is the non-typical practice in most of the world and the head-sprinkling is more widespread.