понедельник, ноября 28, 2005

Mead

As it happens Suzdal is rather famous for its “medovukha” which you can simple call mead. It is basically a beer made out of honey and it is incredible delicious. I’m not really the biggest fan of honey, but this mead really surprised me, it was so good! Why I bring this up is because we kind of had a mead party after the sauna and Friday night.

From the beginning, we had about 4 hours of free time after we got to the hotel and had lunch. We actually planned to go bowling (yes the hotel had a bowling ally), but it did not open for about 2 hours after lunch. So which ended up watching a horrible movie called “one point o” It wasn’t Russian (although of course it was dubbed), we think it was Australian, but anyways it was bad. It had to do with nanobots and evil controlling corporations and brain stealing and milk. I don’t really want to go too much into it, but the real reason I hate it is that by watching it we missed to cheap hours to bowl and would’ve had to pay double the price to play when we got there. That was stupid! Still, we decided to go play some pool instead and had a very fun time, despite our disappointment.

After billiards was dinner, this was then followed by the sauna. Saunas are fun. This one was particularly hot, but the heated pool definitely made up for an overly hot sauna. I guess I can’t really say much more than that, the pool was fun and big, we played sharks and minnows.

Here is where we get to the mead party. It started slowly; my friend bought a bottle, than I bought a bottle, than another friend, suddenly everyone was buying some medovukha. It was really good and more alcoholic than you think, as a few friends could attest to that J. Well we ended the night with some more billiards and a discotecka (which I declined).

The next day was a quick tour around the kremlin and then we got to ride horses to our restaurant for lunch. Original we thought we would each get our own horse. I guess if we had though about that, it would seem unlikely, but needless to say, the disappointment was still there. But man, there are a lot of horses just walking around the streets in Suzdal (they had riders obviously). Most we people selling horse rides, but it’s just weird to see so many horses walking down the street. So we went to our restaurant in some horse drawn carriages, it was fun. After lunch we drove home, short and sweet this trip was.

3 комментария:

Alan O'Connor комментирует...

What's the Russians' secret? My beekeeping prof said he used to brew mead in the basement of the apiary and give his students a taste. This was apparently before he realized it was illegal to give moonshine to underage students. Anyways, he said it tasted like diesel fuel.

Sebastian комментирует...

From what I understand its even a secret in Russia. Suzdal is apparently the only place to get it around here. I can only say that either your professor brewed it wrong or I like the taste of diesel fuel.

Анонимный комментирует...

I suspect it was the former rather than the latter. I had some German (commercially produced) mead once, and it was good stuff. Not nearly as good as standard German beer, but still good.