четверг, июля 14, 2005

How many in a lifetime?

Did you ever hear that statistic that on average we eat about 7 spiders in our lifetime while we sleep? Did you believe it? I sure didn't. I figured that maybe a few people were eating like 100 or something and throwing of the average. Why is this relevant? Let me tell you a little story.

Last night I was reading before I went to sleep. I was in my bed, the light was on, and I was sitting up with my back to the wall. I had a very nice large pillow supporting my back and a good book in my hand, at least what I hope to be one. It was the "Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis as I now recall, and a good book I'm sure it will be. But that was the scene as it unfolded. SUDDENLY! At first it was just the corner of my eye, but that quickly changed as a huge black spider ran across my bed from head to foot. My eyes widened and then filled with rage as I watched the spider run. The book became heavy in my hand and I knew what I must do, but quickly I had to act. My mind not calm if the deed was not done. Down I came with the book, the spider a foot from the edge of my bed, my bed, that in which I lay every night, that in which feelings of warmth and safety find home. The violation would not go unpunished. Down and down again, until death was assured. My book now stained and the corpse lay rotting. To the trash the spider went and there it will remain. The trial over my heart continued to pound. Thoughts of what if ran through my brain. Where did it come from? Was it really on my bed? Are there more? What if I had gone to sleep a minute earlier? Quite close it would have been to my head to my face had I laid down earlier. Quite true it was that I almost had done just that. I hate spiders.

Good story right? Ya well it really did freak me out. Oh man if I had gone to sleep, ahh! Spiders are not allowed in my personal space and that's as personal as they get! Aww it really freaked me out.

Комментариев нет: